12 September 2019

Obsolete Technology: Tiger Video Now Color

It's easy to forget that there was a time when people didn't carry an infinite source of information and entertainment in their pocket wherever they went. Today, portable Internet devices allow us to view pretty much anything we'd like to see while on the go. Back then, if you wanted to watch a movie or show, your options were waiting for it to play on network television or having a DVD or VHS of said media. In both cases you had to be stationary to watch them.
Tiger Video Now Color, released in 2004.

10 September 2019

Calculator Review: Smartbox Touch Screen Calculator Plus

Of all the types of calculators there are, my least favorite so far have been touch screen devices. They tend to break very easily, especially when I have to take them apart for cleaning and pictures. I've broken several already, and some that I've purchased simply don't work.
Smartbox Touch Screen Calculator Plus in original packaging.

22 August 2019

Modding a Commodore Amiga 500 to Run Games on USB

Not long ago, I got a great deal on a Commodore Amiga 500 complete in box. I already had an Amiga 500, but it's a PAL version and was missing some important components like the power supply, video adapter, mouse, and any software. But now I had an NTSC machine with everything I needed to play games. Or rather, one game.

08 August 2019

Calculator Review: Langenscheidt German Electronic Translation Machine and Calculator

It's been too long since my last calculator review. I never intended to stop doing these, but I became obsessed with vintage computers so that has consumed a majority of my life. But I've still got a huge collection of calculators and they aren't going to review themselves.
Langenscheidt German Electronic Translation Machine and Calculator. Say that thirty-eight times fast.

06 August 2019

Commodore 128 Part 3: RF Modulator Issues

When I first booted up the Commodore 128 and saw that it was working just fine, I figured the restoration would be a fairly simple task. The computer was dirty and yellowed, so some scrubbing and retr0brighting would be enough. Or so I thought.

01 August 2019

What came with the Commodore SX-64

Getting the Commodore SX-64 was exciting enough, but the seller included a box of software and accessories. I was mainly focused on ensuring that all of the components of the SX-64 were in good working order, but eventually I got around to taking a look at the box.
That's my foot in the lower left.
It's a crazy amount of stuff, so I still haven't gone through all of it. But I'll discuss some of the highlights.

30 July 2019

Commodore 128: Keyboard Retr0brighting

The summer heat wave has been horrible but that doesn't mean I can't take advantage of it. The sun puts out at least 20% more UV than my two 15 watt black lights, so I might as well save a bit of electricity and use nature for what it's intended.

It didn't start out this way though. I tried using the black lights to restore the keyboard keys. Here are the results of that attempt.